Saturday, March 20, 2021

Wardrobe

    One of the most exciting parts of our short film has to be the constantly changing story. The story changes from an indie film to an action film and then to a drama film. I thought it would be a great opportunity to develop some costume design as my character will change clothes to fit with each genre in each scene. Over the writing process I have been thinking about what I would wear for each scene and I have finalized my first three outfits.


    The first outfit is for the very start of the film where the main character finds themselves in a coming of age indie film. The main character is supposed to be a stereotypical teenage skater which is shown through the outfit. I'm wearing a flannel and a light beige shirt which is a look that is often associated with the skater community. While making the outfits for the film I quickly realized that I really didn't have many pants or shoes to work with, so for each of the scenes I will probably use the same pair of pants and occasionally switch out the shoes. Speaking of the shoes, the vans I'm wearing are synonymous with skating as they are designed specifically to be worn while skating. I'm also wearing some rings I have, but I'm still waiting on the rings and necklaces I ordered that will complete the look. Overall, the outfit is laid back and comfortable which hits all the boxes for the stereotypical teenage skater look.


    The next outfit is for the second scene in which the main character is suddenly pushed into an action film and prepares for a fight. From what is gathered in the scene, there isn't much to go off for the characters background. Characters in action movies can range from gritty fighters to well-dressed spies, so I decided to create an outfit that makes the character seem mysterious and dark. The outfit is all black with a hoodie, a windbreaker, and the same pants and shoes as the outfit before. I layered the windbreaker over the hoodie to give me some more size and make me a little more menacing. (I'm not the most muscular guy) Once the sunglasses come in the mail, the whole outfit will come together and I'm sure will work out great for the scene. 


    The last outfit I have made so far is for the romance drama scene in which the main character walks to their car and breaks down bawling their eyes out. The scene is supposed to be after a nice date that ends in a break up so I thought I would make the outfit look like what someone would wear to a nice restaurant. I'm wearing a dark blue polo shirt with white stripes which is a good change from the previous outfits. The colors should go well with the scene as color grading will make the overall scene look cool and blue. For this outfit the pants and shoes shouldn't matter much because many of the shots in this scene will be from the waist up as I'm sitting in the car. 


No comments:

Post a Comment